- This car was originally raced by Tom Bigelow for Armstrong Mould which was owned by Sherman Armstrong. Tom Bigelow drove the car in the 1979 Indianapolis 500, qualifying at 185.147 mph and finishing the race in 14 position. Bigelow drove this car again in 1980 Indy 500 to a respectable 8th place finish. Roger McCluskey also drove the car through out the 1979 season.
- The car was converted by Jim Hall to a small block Chevy race motor for Goodyear Tire testing.
- Dave Peperak later tried to qualify for the 1983 Indy 500 in the car with a Chevy Stock Block V8, but did not make the race.
- Lola made only five T500 Indy cars. The sister car, chassis 2, was driven by Al Unser Sr. and won all three 500 mile races in 1979.
- 355 ci Chevy V8 Race Engine
- High nickel Bowtie block, 867 Pontiac aluminum heads (Hendrick ported), titanium valves, gear driven Huggins roller camshaft with Crane roller rockers & lifters, new Carrillo rods, new JE pistons, new B&E crankshaft, dry sump oil system, Hilborn mechanical fuel injection (2 7/16), Vertex magneto ignition, Stahl exhaust headers.
- 725 hp at 8,500 RPM on methanol
Hewland 4 speed LG500 MK2 ( serial #456 )
AP Lockheed 4 piston calipers, slotted vented rotors.
Please call or email us for more information on this outstanding vintage Indy Car.
The above information is accurate to the best of our knowledge.